Thursday, February 21, 2008

Barcelona!!

I went to Barcelona with a big group of friends and had a great time!! I made the mistake of getting an hour of sleep the night before leaving, but that didn't stop me from doing a lot of exploring the first day. After checking into our cute little hostel called Sant Jordi, we went of in search of some of Gauidi's famous architectural creations around the city. Two highlights were La Sagrada Famila and Parc Guell. Gaudi's designs are incredible; I can't imagine dreaming them up, nonetheless creating them.
La Sagrada Familia
Parc Guell

After a Gaudi-filled day and lots of walking around, we went back to the hostel for a nap. Then we went out to a great sushi restaurant (one thing I REALLY miss about LA), and headed out for the night with some of my friend Anoop's friends who are studying in Barcelona. First we went to a bar called Pepermints which had huuuuge drinks. It was really crowded with American college students and I sort of felt like I was in a frat house, blah. Just when I was starting to doubt Anoop's friends' tourguide skills, they took us to this great club called Pacha. We had a blast on the dance floor, and I discovered that I actually DO like dancing to euro club music (although hip-hop is still number one in my book)!! Dinner!!
Giant drinks!

The next day was more relaxing. We walked along Las Ramblas, checking out the entertaining street performers, and stopped in an amazing organic market where I got some delicious strawberry-pineapple fruit juice =) We stopped in this fairy-themed bar to get some tea...it was decorated as a sparkling fairy woodland and I loved it soooo much that I went back again the next day! There is this statue of Columbus at the end of Las Ramblas with these great lion statues around it and we took fun pics on them. I love lions rawwwwr! Then we wandered through the gothic neighborhood and checked out a stunning cathedral. When we got out of the cathedral, there was a breakdancing performace going on in the plaza, very fun!
Fairy performers bibbity bobbity boo!
Fairyland!
I love lion =)

That night, we went to this fun shots bar called Chupitos. The shots were low in alcohol and high in yummy! Some faves were the boyscout (they light the bar on fire and you roast a marshmallow to eat with the shot), something with whipped cream and m&ms, and one with a lolipop! The monica lewinsky was NOT one of my favorites...but it was funny. Don't ever get it... After Chupitos, Vera and I went to check out a club called Razzmatazz that was supposed to be really popular, but it was kinda like a warehouse and had bad music so we left pretty fast.
Our bartender at Chupitos...we got pretty close by the end of the night
Toastin' lollies!!
Last day in Barcelona...Vera, Anoop and I had such a great day. We wandered along Las Ramblas and stopped in lots of little cafes (because it was raining, but more importantly b/c we wanted chocolate, gelato, etc...). We went to the Picasso museum which was so cool! I've always had a certain impression of his art, but after seeing a lot of his earlier works I appreciate him so much more. After the musem, we went to this great restaurant, and I have to tell you what I got because it was just that good: Brie cheese that came with these amazing breadlike crackers and jam and blackberries and blueberries. I was in heaven =)

Seeing that everything was so great the entire time we were in Barcelona, something had to go wrong eventually...and it definitely did at the airport. Anoop got into Barcelona with only a copy of his passport, but we were flying back on a different airline and they wouldn't let him fly back!! They said he had to take a bus (7 hours) and we were all really nervous to just leave him there (especially b/c his cell phone had died). He made it back ok though so yay! Dealing with the people at this airline (air europa sucks, don't fly it) made me realize that some people in Spain really don't like Americans. We were being totally polite and they were SO RUDE. The man "helping" me made me check my carry-on bag, saying it was too big, when it was obviously the right size grrrrr. So we finally get on our plane and think we're in the clear...not so much. The flight home was the most terrifying flight I've ever been on! Luckily it was pretty short, but over and hour of horrible turbulance is NOT FUN...I was literally shaking for like an hour afterwards.
Despite the last few problemas, Barcelona was soooo much fun! It was my first real trip since coming here, and I was really happy with the balance of sight-seeing and going out. Definitely a success, hopefully more great travels to come!

1 comment:

Vera Golosker said...

oh wow barcelona sounds like it was soo long ago, no? I had so much fun there too. btw hehe to "i love lions rawr" you're silly!